If you can't find the enemy, they're behind you. Silkmonger's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default They should revisit "Blacklist"...

When I started playing, and "Friendly" fire was turned on, and I got a taste of grievers I had to play with, I grabbed onto 'Blacklist' as if it were a lifering, and I was out to sea without a boat. I blacklisted every griever, thinking that meant I would never see them as teammates again. Then someone explained 'Blacklist' did not work that way, and that all I was doing was blocking their text messages.

:-(

I think they should go ahead and set 'Blacklist' to block people as teammates. I have heard that "it's too challenging", but I submit that teams that actually didn't fight each other would be so much better that the game would be more fun than other games, where people can aggravate teammates at will. I think that grievers would get the idea they weren't as welcome when their queue time keeps getting longer, and their teams seem to be made up of so many more teamshooters and crap-talkers. If these people quit playing, who on earth would shed a tear?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Silkmonger View Post
    When I started playing, and "Friendly" fire was turned on, and I got a taste of grievers I had to play with, I grabbed onto 'Blacklist' as if it were a lifering, and I was out to sea without a boat. I blacklisted every griever, thinking that meant I would never see them as teammates again. Then someone explained 'Blacklist' did not work that way, and that all I was doing was blocking their text messages.

:-(

I think they should go ahead and set 'Blacklist' to block people as teammates. I have heard that "it's too challenging", but I submit that teams that actually didn't fight each other would be so much better that the game would be more fun than other games, where people can aggravate teammates at will. I think that grievers would get the idea they weren't as welcome when their queue time keeps getting longer, and their teams seem to be made up of so many more teamshooters and crap-talkers. If these people quit playing, who on earth would shed a tear?

That would basically mean banning the people from the game as a whole. And for people who don't use blacklist (like me), it would mean having a lot of those in my team.
    Best way to deal with grievers, in my opinion, is just to report them and put a valid reasoning. With the current stage of game, banning people from your team via blacklist (or just matching you up with people with similar skill levels) would be a bit too inconvenient. The queue times would be super long, since WT still doesn't have big enough player base.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue I_AM_ZEUS's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

People would just blacklist anyone they didn't want to play against... It would be extremely misused.

Just report them, things do actually happen when reported.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_I_AM_ZEUS View Post
    People would just blacklist anyone they didn't want to play against... It would be extremely misused.

Ok. I've reported many people, and cannot tell that it does anything. (Well, they did turn off Friendly fire)

As I am describing things, your blacklist only stops the matchmaker from teaming you with people you consider to be grievers. Nothing was stated about pitting you against a team with grievers. Personally, I have no problem being on the team that gets to shoot a team full of grievers, though I would feel bad for the enemy that were not grievers.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CuteReaper View Post
    That would basically mean banning the people from the game as a whole. And for people who don't use blacklist (like me), it would mean having a lot of those in my team.
    Best way to deal with grievers, in my opinion, is just to report them and put a valid reasoning. With the current stage of game, banning people from your team via blacklist (or just matching you up with people with similar skill levels) would be a bit too inconvenient. The queue times would be super long, since WT still doesn't have big enough player base.

1) It does not ban them from the game. It bans them from the team of people who don't want to team with them again.
    2) Yes, not using the blacklist would mean you would have the faster queue time, but an increased likelihood of grievers on your team.
    3) For those blacklisted by more teammates, their queue times would increase. Continued grieving would slow it even more, which does not stop them from playing, but does give them time to do something else other than spoiling the game for others.
    4) Maybe part of the reason for the low number of players in WT is the fact we have so many grievers in here actually trying to ruin the game for others.

Now, there are many things that could be put in place to limit the blacklist:
    1) A cap on the number of blacklisted players, with first in, first out, for the list.
    2) A time limit on how long a player stays blacklisted by a given player.
    3) A time limit on how long a blacklisted player can be kept in queue before being sent into a game despite blacklisting.

Don't cry over spilled milk. By this time tomorrow, it will be free yogurt. Shinigami_II's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

True

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Shinigami_II View Post
    True
    You guys are not reading my post yet. I specify that it does not team you with blacklisted players, not that it does not let you play AGAINST blacklisted players.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default There's another thing you're not thinking about.

By blacklisting players, you're making your own matchmaking harder, too, so there is the cost to use the blacklist, and the benefit is not having a griever on your team. Abuse would extend your own queue time, and it's useless against enemy players, unless you want to switch teams, and are worried that they will outscore you.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

By blacklisting players, you're making your own matchmaking harder, too, so there is the cost to use the blacklist, and the benefit is not having a griever on your team. Abuse would extend your own queue time, and it's useless against enemy players, unless you want to switch teams, and are worried that they will outscore you.
    it would be hard to implement because you still have 14+ players on your team who have to adjust to your blacklist. And imagine if each player had multiple blacklist members in their list. Getting together a team of 16 players who haven't been blacklisted by everyone would be rather hard.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Out of how many players? Yes, programming-wise, this will not be easy. How challenging it will be depends on how many players at a given BR. People keep telling me there aren't that many grievers, though, so with even 14 on one side, there surely won't be all that many in their combined list. They could at least give it a shot, just to see, then adjust wait times and # of allowed blacklist players per player after that.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Good concept but it can still be manipulated.. For example, if I have some really bad players on my team or players that drop out after 1 death then I would blacklist them if I knew they could no longer be on my team. I would blacklist as many bad players as possible to get better teams.

The reporting system does work even if you don't see it. If you are with a squad then get multiple reports on that individual and trust me, things happen. It may be a 1 day ban or chat ban or whatever but there are consequences. The more bans they get the time increases each time and eventually perm ban.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Good concept but it can still be manipulated.. For example, if I have some really bad players on my team or players that drop out after 1 death then I would blacklist them if I knew they could no longer be on my team. I would blacklist as many bad players as possible to get better teams.

The reporting system does work even if you don't see it. If you are with a squad then get multiple reports on that individual and trust me, things happen. It may be a 1 day ban or chat ban or whatever but there are consequences. The more bans they get the time increases each time and eventually perm ban.
    You are right. This sort of blacklist could be used to keep poor players off your team. Again, this will slow both your queue and theirs, but if there is a limited number of players you're allowed to blacklist, then blacklisting a newbie will eventually put another newbie or a griever back off your blacklist.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yea I got ya... It doesn't solve the overall problem though of the griever still being in the game. The report option may not seem to work that great but people do take action on that. If you don't think so then go around TKing people for a day and see how quick the reaction is. More than likely it will be within 24 hours and you will receive a 1 day ban. More of a "Cut this crap out" type of response.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

While I cannot state with certainty what this will do to the number of grievers in the game, this idea does inconvenience them. Any way I can make life worse for people who live to make life worse for everyone is a step in the right direction.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

While I cannot state with certainty what this will do to the number of grievers in the game, this idea does inconvenience them. Any way I can make life worse for people who live to make life worse for everyone is a step in the right direction.
    Reports should serve this purpose. A change in report system would be more beneficial. Different or stricter punishment system. For an example, a person who has committed various evil deeds, gets punished with a 5min waiting time before applying for an ingame queue. It would not ban him completely, but it would make his life more miserable.

However, I believe discussing this thing here will get us nowhere. If we really want to try and change things, a suggestion box in WT forums would be more appropriate.